Sunday, November 24, 2013

Worse than Climate Change? Increasingly rampant use of pesticides could be!

Yes! It could bring catastrophes right to our door steps, as opposed to a century away, as with global warming.

This NY Times article was sent to me by class member and Sussex Bird Cub President, John Hoyt. It is very alarming, but very hard to dispute.

From my perspective - Yes, I have seen far fewer Monarchs this fall. I have also seen far fewer wild bees at our flowers. And I have read very troubling articles about Lowes and Home Depot selling flower plants so heavily dosed with pesticides that bees are dying by the thousands in their parking lots, not to mention your backyard.

And at the Rehoboth Film Festival, Sally and I watched More Than Honey about the bee decline, in a large part due to pesticides, and about how so many of our food crops are dependent on bee pollination. From the film, an Einstein quote, "If bees ever die out, mankind will die out 4 years later".

So where is Obama on this issue? Well, he does not look to be well positioned. But then if I lived in China or Russia, right now my future would probably look bleak as well. Hope you all can swim.

No comments:

GREENLAND - Will probably be the focus of near term sea level rise

Greenland is almost all covered by a very thick glacial ice cap. If all of Greenland's ice either melted or slid into the oceans, sea le...